Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I put long tube headers on? Is it because I would throw a cel? Which if I put a tune on it I shouldn't throw any cels..

I want to do long tube headers, I want to keep the cats, an x pipe, and roush axel backs out the rear... But being in the great common wealth of Virginia and the really stupid emissions that they have I would fail...

And I would like to kow y exactly and if there is a way around it...

Thanks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Same here in California... Do most anything you want after the cats, but very little before. If the LTs weren't such a PITA I'd just swap them for smog. I don't know exactly why technically, but I don't think it will pass visual, even if it could pass the actual test. There are a couple shortys that are CARB legal.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Hopefully I pass with my LTs an bbk xpipe visually you can't see the cats cause my car is to low so idk what will happen

·
The Blue Dragon
5,661 Posts
I always thought that people with LT's fail emissions because the aftermarket cats do not burn off excess fuel well enough, I don't think it is because of the LT's themselves... But hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I always thought that people with LT's fail emissions because the aftermarket cats do not burn off excess fuel well enough, I don't think it is because of the LT's themselves... But hopefully someone will correct me if I am wrong
So you say because of the excessive fuel which makes it run rich?

·
It's not me, it's you.
6,752 Posts
I'm guessing its not running rich. But the exhaust coming from the pipe would be rich because of the increased flow through the cats can't accommodate.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Unless I've totally missed something, with LT's you fail because the cats are gone. Even if there are some aftermarket replacements jammed in the small space left between the LT's & the H-pipe section, at least in CA it's still a failure because the cats are no longer in the stock location. Out here the cats are pretty much off-limits.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Depending on your state, just having LTs can cause you to fail due to them not being legal for street use(CARB). If your state just does a OBDII hook up and run a scan, you can get by with LTs and high flow cats. If you have to pass a sniffer, it's goon to depend on your area as some are more stringent than others. In Cali, you'd fail, in Texas you might pass.

·
Registered
106 Posts
If I put long tube headers on? Is it because I would throw a cel? Which if I put a tune on it I shouldn't throw any cels..

I want to do long tube headers, I want to keep the cats, an x pipe, and roush axel backs out the rear... But being in the great common wealth of Virginia and the really stupid emissions that they have I would fail...

And I would like to kow y exactly and if there is a way around it...

Thanks
if you got your cars registration and license plate from a different state where one of your family members live. since the car wouldn't be registered in that state would you still have to do emissions?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
if you got your cars registration and license plate from a different state where one of your family members live. since the car wouldn't be registered in that state would you still have to do emissions?

No I would not and I have thought about that since I am in the military and I can easily go where no inspection is needed... But that would be a pain in the ass for sure.. If I was to do this then long tubes and no cats with the x would be how I would go... I would get a decent muffler though so it's not super obnoxious, even then though I have a feeling it would be loud...

I am sure that here in Virginia I could find that one "special" place that would just look and say your good.... But that is risky here in va...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Am3gross said:
No I would not and I have thought about that since I am in the military and I can easily go where no inspection is needed... But that would be a pain in the ass for sure.. If I was to do this then long tubes and no cats with the x would be how I would go... I would get a decent muffler though so it's not super obnoxious, even then though I have a feeling it would be loud...

I am sure that here in Virginia I could find that one "special" place that would just look and say your good.... But that is risky here in va...
I'm in the same area as you and trust me, you ain't gonna find that special place here. Since I live in NC I don't have to deal with emissions testing. Inspections here are nothing. Takes the tech longer to put the info in the computer than to do the inspection. During my inspection last year I did half of the inspection myself. Gotta love living in the sticks!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm in the same area as you and trust me, you ain't gonna find that special place here. Since I live in NC I don't have to deal with emissions testing. Inspections here are nothing. Takes the tech longer to put the info in the computer than to do the inspection. During my inspection last year I did half of the inspection myself. Gotta love living in the sticks!
Nice.... Wish. Could do my own inspection...

·
Registered
106 Posts
Am3gross said:

The borla longtube headers with off road x pipe without cats and borla atak mufflers sound awesome but loud as heel though

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Awesome! But if I can't pass inspection.... It's a no go...but I would love the sound... I am gonna check out you tube right now for some clips...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts