Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

So i recently traded in my '12 V6 for a new 2013 5.0. Once I drove the GT, it was all over haha :) Yesterday, I ordered the GT500 axelbacks for the car and will have them tomorrow. I went to my local muffler shop to see about having the stock resonators cut off last night and this is where I need some advice.

After looking at the stock exhaust, the guy said that what he could do is cut from the stock H pipe to just past the resonators and install an X pipe and then just run the straight pipe back to just past where the resonators used to be. It would be 2.5" pipe in that section. He said I would be out the door for $215. How would this sound with the GT500s? Worth it? I'm going for a deep, aggressive tone on this car and he seemed to think that this setup would really open up the exhaust. Any help here would be appreciated!! Thanks! :D

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Try an off road H pipe, it will sound much deeper than the x pipe. X pipes sounds a little raspy but with an H pipe it will sound better for what you want, do a youtube search..

Is there a big difference in performance with an h pipe or x pipe????

·
Registered
229 Posts
If your wanting deep tone id probably go with an o/r H pipe the X pipes are usualy pretty raspy

---------- Post added at 08:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Ive did a little research on the difference in H and X pipes and theres not a difference in hp gain from what ive read/saw just different sound!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's pretty much been the majority of what I've read...that those X pipes will make it pretty raspy which is not what I'm looking to do here. Gotta find a way to get that aggressive tune and turn up the volume. Looks like the stock H pipe is pretty restrictive as well so the aftermarket o/r would be the best option?

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
USAF2754 said:
Hey all,

So i recently traded in my '12 V6 for a new 2013 5.0. Once I drove the GT, it was all over haha :) Yesterday, I ordered the GT500 axelbacks for the car and will have them tomorrow. I went to my local muffler shop to see about having the stock resonators cut off last night and this is where I need some advice.

After looking at the stock exhaust, the guy said that what he could do is cut from the stock H pipe to just past the resonators and install an X pipe and then just run the straight pipe back to just past where the resonators used to be. It would be 2.5" pipe in that section. He said I would be out the door for $215. How would this sound with the GT500s? Worth it? I'm going for a deep, aggressive tone on this car and he seemed to think that this setup would really open up the exhaust. Any help here would be appreciated!! Thanks! :D
So you're going to cut an exhaust that's modular and weld in pipe that is a smaller diameter than the factory pipe? I know it sounds like a good deal, but this is going to be a serious hack job that will cost you more money down the road...

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
McQueen said:
Try an off road H pipe, it will sound much deeper than the x pipe. X pipes sounds a little raspy but with an H pipe it will sound better for what you want, do a youtube search..

Is there a big difference in performance with an h pipe or x pipe????
Generally speaking H pipes produce better down low(lower RPMs) and an X will produce better near the top of the power curve(higher RPM's)

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would recommend installing an aftermarket h pipe first before removing the resonators. It's always difficult for someone else to tell you exactly what to do to your exhaust to make it sound how YOU want it. Then if you want to turn it up just a bit more then get rid of the resonators but you should probably go 3" since stock is 2.75". The resonators are not very restrictive they are designed to minimize harmonics through the pipe. They are essentially straight through with baffling around it. It's the going from 2.75 to 3 that helps with flow. Your biggest difference besides the mufflers are the cats. So off road h takes care of that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ended up having the stock resonators cut out and today I installed the GT500 axle back. It sounds amazing on this car but I ran into an issue a little bit ago while driving home. My check engine light came on when I was accelerating pretty hard onto the freeway. Any ideas about where this came from? Could it be that the engine isn't used to the new exhaust on the car?

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
Well I ended up having the stock resonators cut out and today I installed the GT500 axle back. It sounds amazing on this car but I ran into an issue a little bit ago while driving home. My check engine light came on when I was accelerating pretty hard onto the freeway. Any ideas about where this came from? Could it be that the engine isn't used to the new exhaust on the car?
Do you know what code it's throwing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not yet. I'm gonna see if it comes back up tomorrow and if it does ill take it to the shop and see what they say. The car is running fine and I haven't noticed anything different but that light came on while I was driving home

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
P0430

Catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 2

That was the code that it was throwing. I had it reset and ill wait to see of it comes back up

·
Registered
142 Posts
USAF2754 said:
P0430

Catalyst efficiency below threshold bank 2

That was the code that it was throwing. I had it reset and ill wait to see of it comes back up
Thats strange. It wouldn't be an o2 unplugged or anything, that would give you a o2 voltage code. That code is literally that the catalytic convertor is not filtering as well as it should. I hope your cats were not damaged during install. No reason why they would since you only did resonator delete and mufflers.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts