Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming out of turn one at NCCAR, I looked over and saw smoke pouring out of my dashboard HAVC vents, filling my student's helmet with Hawk HPS ash (next time that visor will be down). To be fair to my brakes, I was coming in at the mid 150's, braking at the 300 foot marker, and releasing at 40 mph (the pads allowed this 8 times before I had to start moving back). Only reason this happened is that my new brake ducts were sitting next to my new G-Loc pads in a UPS warehouse in Atlanta due to "unexpected logistics issues."

I have never seen anyone smoke their brakes badly enough to cause it to circulate through the HVAC before Saturday...

· Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Or when the oil consumption from your S2000 on right corners through the PCV is so bad that it obstructs the view behind the car for about 50 feet. We went through 8 quarts of oil in 500 miles the first weekend. That was the last time it was driven without a catch can.

· Registered
1,315 Posts

· Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not too hot until it boils the brake fluid, locks the calipers down, and the pads weld themselves to the rotor.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
One of the drivers for a team I consult for has had a similar experience with his personal TT3 car (370Z). He came into the last turn at NJMP Thunderbolt, the pedal sank to the floor, and he immediately pitted in. Upon stopping, he saw that he was getting drips of brake fluid dripping from the outer side of the front left caliper.
It turned out that the outer pistons had failed to retract early in the session, and the pad got hot enough that he actually put the pistons through the backing plate of the pad, and mushroomed them against the rotor.
That pad with the pair of embedded pistons now sits on his mantle as a trophy for surviving his first catastrophic brake failure. The other instructors at the PCA event he was at were duly impressed with that failure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.